Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesdays with The Subversive Children's Book Club: Comic Books with Strong Girl Characters

This edition of Wednesdays with The Subversive Children's Book Club features comic books with strong girl characters.  My daughters and I dwell with a comic book lover of epic proportions and with a whole room's supply of comic books.  Although I probably have, as a consequence, learned way, way more about comic books than most of you would ever want to know, I do not find most of the books amusing.

Not at all.

Generally speaking, comic books have used female characters as plot devices for male character action at best and have totally, ridiculously objectified female characters in ways that make me think that geek boys might not be much nicer than frat boys after all. 

Some are better than others, though, and here are some that merit mention:

  • Wonder Woman:  Obviously there are problems here, like the costume and all the creepy fetishism and her ridiculous jones for that Ken doll Steve Trevor, but...Amazon Princess of truth and power!  I can't deny that I love Wonder Woman.
  • Spider Girl:  We have costume problems here, too, but this teen-aged super hero typically managed to end up bringing her enemies around to being allies and I am so down with that.
  •  Arana:  First mainstream Latina super hero with her own book.
  • A-Force:  All-female Avenger-y team book.
  • Ms. Marvel:  First mainstream Muslim super hero with her own book.



What comic books would you recommend for girls?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Cool! Wasn't there a news article recently about the creator of Wonder Woman and how he wanted to make a feminist superhero? Obviously, I only read the headline (lazy!). I never read too many comic books, beyond the occasional Archie or Richie Rich, and my kids' interest in comics has been mainly in the graphic novel department, so I don't have much to add to this conversation, but it's very interesting (and also, GamerGate is a good hint that there are a lot of geek boys who are terrible).