Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Child Abuse Prevention Month

I am wearing blue today to raise awareness about child abuse.  April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. I feel very strongly that the vast majority of child abuse can be prevented by providing adequate support to struggling parents.  There will always be a small number of sick puppies out there, but most parents desperately want what's best for their children, even when they lack the information and personal resources to treat children well.

That said, the state of Texas could do a lot more to help children in oh, so many ways.  One way would be to adequately fund Child Protective Services.

According to the Dallas Morning News, 34% of all child abuse investigators in Texas quit last year.  Turnover for other CPS workers was 25%, even in this economy.  The caseloads are too high and the pay too low to keep people in such a stressful job.

I would like more funding for tons more caseworkers for CPS myself.  I would also like all of those new caseworkers to be licensed social workers.

Our kids deserve it.











2 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Lone Star Ma said...

Thanks. I'll check it out.