Saturday, July 21, 2012

Texas Republicans Come Out For The Boy Scouts

From the 2012 Texas Republican Party Platform:

"We support the Boy Scouts of America and reject any attempt to undermine or fundamentally change the ideals of the organization."

Now, the Texas Republican Party Platform does not mention by name any other  youth organization: not the Girl Scouts, with their 100-year history of tolerance and inclusion ... not Campfire, not 4-H....no others at all - just the Boy Scouts.  What might be so special about the Boy Scouts that it needed a specific mention in the 2012 Texas Republican Party Platform? 

Could it be the policy of the  Boy Scouts of America of  "not granting membership to open or avowed homosexuals"?  Bingo.  We have a winner.

While the Girl Scouts, Campfire, 4-H, the Boys And Girls Clubs, Big Brothers and Big Sisters - to name a few- all believe that parents are the best people to create policies on with whom their children should or should not associate, the Boy Scouts just re-affirmed their policy to exclude people who are gay on Tuesday. 

I'm sure that the Boy Scouts and the Texas Republicans will be very happy together.  

I would be sad if I had a boy and could not have him be a Scout because there are so many wonderful things about Scouting.  I would no more let a son of mine participate in Boy Scouts than I would let him participate in an otherwise wonderful youth program run by the KKK, though.  I draw the line at bigotry.  I'm glad there are so many upstanding youth organizations in America that, unlike the Boy Scouts, do not teach hate.


In my book, hate is not a family value.


1 comment:

brenda said...

I feel exactly the same way. Thank goodness for girl scouts. I'm so students by this decision by bsusa. So many of my dear friends have no quality youth program for their boys because of this policy.