Friday, June 01, 2012

Third Grader





Wednesday was the Lone Star Baby's last day of second grade.   I really cannot believe that she's a third grader now and that she is about to turn eight. 

She does not seem that old to me - eight! -  at all - not at all.  Age for age, she has always seemed younger to me than her sister was - she has always seemed so young to me.  Not at school, though.  

We are very proud of our little scholar.  She has already finished the third grade ELA materials at her school and will be starting on the fourth grade stuff when she goes back at the end of  July.  She finished up the second grade math materials, which interest her a lot less, just in time, but her school's idea of grade level seems a bit out there to me.  I certainly wasn't multiplying and dividing huge long numbers and fractions or using exponents in second grade like they do (and the word problems!).  I am so grateful that the Lone Star Baby has the opportunity to go to a school where they can keep her hungry little mind so busy and challenged.

Lately, she says she wants to be a diplomat when she grows up, so she can use her Spanish and help countries get along.  Also an artist.  And possibly a translator if she has time.  You wouldn't know it from watching her run around outside all the time like any red-blooded child or from watching her vegetate in front of the Disney Channel - her true primary caregiver - but she's got a pretty special take on things most of the time. 

I will continue to work hard to stress kindness in the hopes that she will use her powers for good.  I think she will.

3 comments:

othermother6 said...

She's a second child. You can choose to see her older capabilities and promote them. I'm a second child too. I generally wait for an "older child" to say something and then either agree or disagree.

Lone Star Ma said...

Oh, she never holds back her opinion in any way. She's quite vocal and assertive(sort of an occupational hazard in the Lone Star Family). Her being my baby is probably a big part of it but she is also just a bit chiquita for her age - she's sensitive and v-e-r-y silly. That's okay, though - she will grow up fast enough, I think.

Thanks for dropping by! Do I know you IRL? I appreciate people reading and commenting!

gojirama said...

What a wonderful girl!