Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Brigid

February will not defeat me.  I awake.


Although today was a day away from work for double doctor appointments for the Girl, I determined to make it a very productive one.  February will not defeat me like January did.

I am hesitant to put my hope in springtime this year.  February is untrustworthy anyways, with all its hot and cold, but even if it were late March, I'd be hesitant.  Last year, the winter was so cold that I rejoiced at spring and plantings but spring and summer turned out nightmarish (no comment) and I don't know when I can trust them ever again, or fall or winter, either.


Some of the begonias lived and some of them died and I don't really know how to interpret that.


I'm going to put my face to the sunshine and feel the spring breeze and scatter ladybugs and stand up, though.  I'm going to manage so many things.


I handled the doctor appointments (things which are not always easy to handle) today and got a lot else done during and in between and then this evening.  It may be lame to have not finished thank you notes until now, but they are finished now, and at least I did them.  And my ink-stained sports coats are at the dry cleaners'.  And I've made plans for school.  And planted lettuces and tomatoes and a celery in the salad garden.  I made Girl Scout calls.  I got loads of paperwork-type stuff turned in at the Girl's school.  I submitted a poem.  I signed petitions.  Paid things.  Put up spring flags and hearts.


Healing, poetry and smith craft.  What won't I forge out of the steel that is myself?

 

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I look to snowdrops for February. Courage and strength!

Andrea said...

"Healing, poetry and smith craft. What won't I forge out of the steel that is myself?" So lovely, so right. Take February by the horns (it is a tough month if it can threaten defeat all the way at the southern border of the country...It hasn't been too tough this year--sunny and mild--though March is my Waterloo).