Sunday, July 17, 2011

Girl, Thriving

I am so deeply, shiningly proud of the Lone Star Girl.  She grows and grows into the most amazing person.  It is a precious  privilege to have her in my life.

I have missed her this week.  She has been down in the valley, in her first year as a counselor at the  Girl Scout camp.  She spent the week taking care of the youngest Brownies at resident camp and she loved it.  The first session ended Friday afternoon and she reported for duty for the second session Saturday night, so she stayed on at camp between.  We drove up yesterday morning to spend the day with her.  She was gorgeous and glowing and happy as camp always seems to make the girls.  Even more so now that she is a counselor.  She was full of stories and I could tell how wonderful she had been with the little girls.  I am so proud.  What a wonder my life has been that I could raise this amazing young woman.

We took her to brunch and then to the University of Texas at Brownsville.   UTB is one of the colleges she is interested in so I had called them and scheduled a tour.  We got there early and got to walk around some of the gorgeous grounds on our own before waiting for the tour.  Then our guide showed us all over the campus in a golf cart.  It is a lovely campus and the Lone Star Girl adored it.  She is considering a number of universities but I know that the "feel" of Brownsville is a huge draw for her.  She was super-excited to see a huge brick sculpture of a strand of DNA, the tree of life, in front of the biology and life science building. 

She can hear the future pounding in her blood and it thrills her - I'm so happy for her at these moments.


We drove around Brownsville for awhile and had dinner and then took her back to camp.  


It was such a wonderful day.  I am so full of gratitude.

3 comments:

gojirama said...

What a wonderful job you have done, and what an amazing young woman.

Andrea said...

Oh, my, college? So exciting and so bitter-sweet at the same time.

Lone Star Ma said...

She's just a sophomore, but it's time to start thinking about it.