Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Return of Lone Star Ma!

       Lone Star Ma:  The Magazine of Progressive Texas Parenting And Children's Issues is coming back...online!     
      Lone Star Ma #9 came out about four years ago when the Lone Star Girl was about to enter middle school and the Lone Star Baby was three years old.  They have since completed ninth and first grades, respectively.  There was a LSM#10 in the works for a while, but the money for printing never materialized and I had to let it go.   
      For a long time now, I have been telling myself that while I know that I cannot afford to produce Lone Star Ma anymore - I never really could by any sensible standard – I am just not ready to officially let it go yet.  Hopes and dreams, mamas – they are hard to let go of, for certain.   
      Just this spring, though, I have come to another realization  – I cannot let Lone Star Ma go.  I am Lone Star Ma and Lone Star Ma is me and if there was ever, ever a time when progressive Texas parents needed galvanizing, mamas – that time is now. 
      Things have never in my lifetime been worse for the women and children of Texas than they are now.  Our greedy governor and Republican-controlled Legislature are raping education and social services funding, not to mention the kind of scary science fiction bills that they are passing about issues that affect women.  We have a lot of work to do if we are to stay afloat and we need to pull together.
      I spend an awful lot of time just trying to keep my family afloat myself so this little magazine is never going to be your number-one source for Texas political news or anything, but I think we do provide an important venue for voices that often go unheard in our state.  I think we are needed. 
      So ... we are coming back.
      I do not believe that I will ever be able to pull off another print version of Lone Star Ma due to the expense, but I am going to learn how to produce a simple online magazine.  I do not know for sure how long the learning will take me and I do not know how often I will be able to put out new online issues, but I am going to do my best.  I hope to get up to four issues per year eventually, but we may have to settle for two per year for a while.  
      I will, of course, need you, gentle readers to write the stories and gather the news.  This is a no-pay gig, but I hope to help us get our voices heard, those of us who want better for the children and parents of Texas and the world.  A Call for Submissions will be posted soon.  Stay tuned here, please, and on our brand, spanking new FaceBook page and gather your thoughts and voices.
    
 xoxo ----  Lone Star Ma

2 comments:

Noemi said...

great news! Good luck. Can't wait for the call out.

Saints and Spinners said...

Hurrah! I'll be glad to see it return. Just so you know, one of our two city newspapers is online only now. It happens.